What are all the poor industrial relation activities in a company to create Industrial Dispute?
· Unfair labour practices.
· Not following the labour laws.
· Not following the proper disciplinary procedures.
· Hasty decisions by management.
· Not thinking holistically by the management in discipline matters.
· Partiality shown by management team.
· Cost cutting activities.
· Drop in business.
· Not controlling the bad elements in the probation period itself.
· Closing the eyes and giving long roap to misconduct in the industry.
· Lack of complete knowledge on IR procedures by Managers in the establishment. [9:28 AM,
· Mental inertia on the part of management and labour;
· An intolerant attitude of contempt of contempt towards the workers on the part of management.
· Inadequate fixation of wage or wage structure;
· Unhealthy working conditions;
· Lack of human relations skill on the part of supervisors and other managers;
· Desire on the part of the workers for higher bonus or DA and the corresponding desire of the employers to give as little as possible;
· Inappropriate introduction of automation without providing the right climate;
· Unduly heavy workloads;
· Inadequate welfare facilities;
· Dispute on sharing the gains of productivity;
· Unfair labour practices, like victimization and undue dismissal;
· Retrenchment, dismissals and lock-outs on the part of management and strikes on the part of the workers;
· Inter-union rivalries; and
· General economic and political environment, such as rising prices, strikes by others, and general indiscipline having their effect on the employees’ attitudes.
· Neglecting of human needs and wants for a working atmosphere.
· Mostly not understanding the small grievances and addressing them at the right time.
· The touch called personal touch is missing.
· we are all behind numbers.
· Economic Causes Poor wages and poor working conditions are the main reasons for unhealthy relations among management and labour. ...
· Organisational Causes
· Social Causes
· Psychological Causes
· Political Causes
· Strong and Stable Union
It is also basically start with demand and supply at macro level.
A. More supply and less demand for manpower and skill leads to unfair practices ( IR scenario - Pilot and IT companies also have unions for collective bargain to get fair requirements at par with Market )
B. Less supply more demand ( HR environment ... we shall be after people for Talent acqusition .. development ... more pay benefits etc etc )
Being fair is the key ????
· Poor wages
· Poor working conditions
· Unauthorized deduction from wages
· Lack of fringe benefits
· Absence of promotional opportunities
· Shortfall in job evaluation process
· Bias in performance appraisal
· Faulty incentive scheme
· No regular interaction between Management and Workmen
· Inadequate infrastructure
· Worn out plant and machineries
· Improper layout
· Poor maintenance of machines
· No proper communication between Management and Workmen
· Non recognition of Trade Unions
· Unfair labour practices
· Not following standing orders and Labour Laws
· Monotonous job
· Employees inability to balance work and life
· Lack of counseling for employees
· Feeling of insecurity
· Non recognition of merit and performance
· Poor interpersonal relationship
· Political nature of trade unions
· Inter union rivalry
· Dominance of outside leaders
· Authoritative approach of Management
· Absence of grievance handling machinery
· Denial of leave even for genuine reasons
· Forcing the employees to attain high level of industrial engineering norms
· Inadequate canteen facilities
· Dispute pertaining to payment of bonus
· Disciplinary action for starting Trade Union
Courtesy: Arghaa Academy of IR- Complied from the Points shared by Group Members